LAST UPDATED | APRIL 1, 2020
The current nature of COVID-19 is an ever-changing situation here in the United States. Please refer to this page for the most up to date USA Rugby information and resources as the situation continues to unfold. Understand that USA Rugby is monitoring the growing threat on a daily basis, while the Medical Committee is also coordinating best practice with the Center for Disease Control (CDC), United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) and World Rugby.
The impact of the virus has expanded beyond imaginable expectation with canceled activities across a domestic, national and global scale. USA Rugby is currently absorbing what impact that means for the rugby community, both now and in the future. We ask all members and fans for their patience and support as rugby navigates this unprecedented period in history.
If you have specific questions the below information does not answer, please email inquiries to email@example.com
USA RUGBY COMPETITION MANDATE
All sanctioned competition and rugby activities are suspended for the foreseeable future, effective March 20, 2020. Members and clubs are asked to refrain from match play, training or team gatherings during this period. Accident and Liability claims will not be accepted during the above window of time. Information on when rugby activities will be able to resume will be communicated by USA Rugby.
USA RUGBY EVENT STATUS
Domestic Events | Youth, College, Senior Club
- 2020 USA Rugby Regional Cup Tournaments | Canceled
- 2020 USA Rugby Spring College Championships | Canceled
- 2020 USA Rugby College 7s National Championships | Canceled
- 2020 Men’s D1A National Championship | Canceled
- 2020 Women’s D1 Elite National Championship | Canceled
- 2020 NSCRO Men’s and Women’s Spring Championships | Canceled
- 2020 USA Rugby Club Championships XVs (May 2020) | Canceled
- 2020 Club 7s National Championships (Aug 2020) |Under Review
International Events | USA Eagles XVs & 7s
- 2020 HSBC Hong Kong Sevens (Apr 2020) | Postponed Oct 2020
- 2020 HSBC Singapore Sevens (Apr 2020) | Postponed Oct 2020
- 2020 HSBC Canada Sevens – Langford (May 2020) | Postponed (TBD)
- USA Women’s Eagles XV v Barbarians F.C. (May 2020) | Postponed (TBD)
- 2020 HSBC London Sevens (May 2020) | Postponed (TBD)
- 2020 HSBC Paris Sevens (May 2020) | Postponed (TBD)
- 2020 Men’s U20s ARC (June 2020) | Postponed (TBD)
- 2020 USA Rugby Summer Series (TBD) | Under Review
- 2020 Americas Rugby Championship (Aug 2020) | Under Review
- 2020 Summer Olympic Games, Tokyo | Postponed (July 2021)
USA RUGBY REORGANIZATION
The Reorganization Task Force continues to operate in tandem with a Governance Reorganization Group on a remote basis through the COVID-19 pandemic. All members and operation have understandably been impacted by measures taken to combat the spread of the virus, therefore possible delays in the timeline are being accounted for. Updates and information will continue to be communicated by the Governance Reorganization Group and USA Rugby.
USA RUGBY ECONOMIC IMPACT
International and domestic competition continues to absorb the impact of cancelation and postponement, both through membership and other revenue streams. On March 30, it was announced that USA Rugby would file Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to the lost revenue compounded with the 2019 financial deficit. Under the supervision of the court, the USA Rugby Board, Governance Restructuring Group and Congress will now work on a new operational and financial structure with plans on addressing current debt. That new structure will be presented and then approved or denied by the Court and USA Rugby creditors.
OPERATIONS: NATIONAL TEAMS AND HEADQUARTERS
The USA Eagles National Teams, both XVs & 7s, are similarly observing the hiatus of group activities in residency and their respective competitions. The Elite Athlete Training Center in Chula Vista remains open to individual outdoor training; however all communal areas are closed for the foreseeable future. Coaches and staff across all programs are in close contact and providing curriculum for athletes to keep in regimen, tailored to the guidance of health officials.
Follow along with USA Rugby Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updates and check-ins with the USA Eagles as their journey continues.
Operations at the USA Rugby National Office have followed state and federal guidance by moving workstations home. Administrative operations continue remotely during this period, members are still encouraged to engage and communicate with USA Rugby Headquarters for their needs and requests.